Skip to content

Contact Us

In-House Insurance

Boat/Watercraft Insurance

If you're a boat or watercraft owner in Utah, you're required by law to have insurance. Whether you have a motorized boat or a sailboat, you'll need to purchase a policy that covers both your vessel and liability.

Boat and Watercraft Insurance Requirements in Utah

In Utah, all motorized boats must be registered with the Division of Parks and Recreation. If you plan to use your boat in Utah's waterways, you must also carry a current boat insurance policy. Your insurance policy must provide at least $25,000 in liability coverage for bodily injury, $50,000 for death, and $15,000 in property damage.

Anyone who owns or operates a boat with a motor on Utah waters must have it registered with the Utah State Parks & Recreation and display the registration decal on the vessel's hull. The following boats are exempt from registration:

  • Solely human-powered Boats (i.e., paddle boats, rowboats, etc.)
  • Boats that are 10 feet long or shorter and have a motor of 9.9 horsepower or less
  • Sailboats that are 14 feet long or shorter

To register your boat, you must fill out a Utah Boat Registration Application, which can be obtained from the Utah State Parks & Recreation website or any state park office. The application must be accompanied by the appropriate fee and proof of ownership for the vessel. Once the application has been processed, you will be issued a Utah Boat Registration Certificate and decals, which must be affixed to the vessel's hull.

If you are stopped by a law enforcement officer while operating a boat, you must show proof of registration and insurance.

Purchasing Boat and Watercraft Insurance

If you're looking for watercraft or boat insurance, In-House Insurance is your company. We're here to help – contact us today.

Partner Carriers

  • Allstate
  • American Modern
  • Burns & Wilcox
  • Dairyland (Viking)
  • Encompass
  • Farmers
  • Foremost
  • Gainsco
  • Hartford Commercial
  • J.E. Brown & Associates
  • Progressive
  • RPS
  • Safeco
  • State Auto
  • Sublimity
  • Sun Coast
  • Travelers